For reliable test results, follow this radon testing checklist carefully. Improper
testing may yield inaccurate results and require another test. Disturbing or interfering
with the test devices or with closed-house conditions may invalidate the test results
and is illegal in some states. If the following items cannot be confirmed, another
test must be taken.
After the test, the devices will be picked up and taken to our laboratory where
the results will be determined. Results of the test will in most cases be e-mailed,
faxed, or mailed to you within 12 hours after the laboratory has determined the
- Notify the occupants of the importance of proper testing conditions. Give them a
copy of this guide if possible and explain the directions carefully.
- Conduct the radon test for a minimum of 48 hours using the electorate ion chambers
and maintain closed-house conditions for a minimum of 12 hours before the 48-hour
- The test will include methods to prevent or detect interference with testing conditions
or with the testing devices itself.
- If the house has an active radon-reduction system, make sure the vent fan is operating
properly. If the fan is not operating properly, have it (or ask to have it) repaired
and then test.
- Maintain closed-house conditions during the entire duration of a short-term test,
especially for tests shorter than one week in length.
- Operate the home's heating and cooling systems normally during the test. For tests
lasting less than one week, operate only air-conditioning units which re-circulate
- Do not disturb the test devices at any time during the test.
Levels of radon 4 pCi/L or more: The EPA recommends that you take action
to fix the home to reduce the level of radon gas. In most cases, a system with a
vent pipe(s) and fan(s) is used to reduce the radon. Radon mitigation contractors may use other methods that
may also work in your home. The right system depends on the design of your home
and other factors. Only use a
licensed, certified mitigation contractor to do the repairs.
After a radon reduction system is installed, another radon test should be conducted
from the same location as the previous radon test.